Thanks for visiting my playground for words and images. I hope you find something of interest.



Saturday, April 30, 2011

The April garden update

Rescues and survival against the odds

Preparing to write this post about the happenings in my garden for the month of April and I realised the title I chose has six words. The post can double as my six word Saturday offering! 


The main news on the garden front this month is the survival and thriving of the seedlings I bought from Bunnings last month. The marigolds, parsley, rainbow silverbeet and the basil are all doing exceptionally well. 

The Afro parsley was quite yellow when bought but is now very green and thriving! 

The basil was also very yellow and is starting to look healthier and beginning to grow. 

The silverbeet seedlings settled in very well. 

I love the colour of the marigolds! 


Some plants have been struggling to survive and have been feasted on by various creatures (snails and cabbage moth caterpillars I believe). The rocket seems to be growing quite well now after being eaten a lot! The basil I planted from seed which was looking very good last month, sadly didn't make it. I went to check the garden one morning and thought something looked different then suddenly I realised the basil was completely gone. There were two capsicum plants too which took a long while to grow and were being eaten. One didn't survive and the other now seems to be growing well. 

The rocket - starting to do okay
There are a few things growing in the garden which I didn't plant. There must have been some seeds left over from previous seasons. The Italian parsley which was a Bunnings rescue last year seems to want to take over the garden bed again. There are a couple of other plants which I am not sure what they are. Any ideas or information greatly appreciated. 

Italian parsley - taking over! 

???
???


6 comments:

  1. I so don't have a green thumb - power to you for your perserverance and success

    Cheers, Fi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could garden! Stop in & check out http://upinthecosmos.blogspot.com/2011/04/6-pack-sat.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. We tried gardening last year--and failed! I'm sitting this year out. I hope your garden continues to thrive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It must be satisfying to grow things...but I wouldn't know...cuz I do NOT have a green thumb. But I hope your garden flourishes this year!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a ahead of me. I need to get my garden going! Great 6WS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very impressive! I'm no gardener but the last picture looks to me like radishes! (have you checked the roots)

    ReplyDelete