My theme for this year is "sharing books with children". This will include lots of reflecting on my favourite children's books, how I have enjoyed sharing books in the past and how I will continue to share books in the future. I'm sure I will learn a lot along the way and explore new ideas for sharing books. I hope these posts will be interactive ones. Feel free to share your comments and ideas!
What good timing with the E post being on the 5th April and Good Friday on the 6th April. If you are looking for a great book to read at Easter time how about Hunwick's Egg by Mem Fox?
"When a mysterious egg appears outside Hunwick's burrow, no one is certain what to think. And when it doesn't hatch right away, everyone is even more bewildered. Everyone, that is, but Hunwick. For Hunwick understands the egg. It is his friend. And he is the only one who knows its secret."
Mem Fox chose the name 'Hunwick' for the bilby in this story after a man called John Hunwick whom she worked with at Flinders University. My own fondness for this book partly comes from the fact that John Hunwick was one of my supervisors at University when I was studying to be a teacher. You can read in an interview with Mem Fox about "Hunwick's Egg" at http://www.memfox.com/hunwicks-egg.html. There is also lots of information on that website about many of the other great books by Mem Fox.
I love this story and the accompanying illustrations by Pamela Lofts and so have many children I have shared it with. Perhaps this book could be shared along with The Very Itchy Bear by Nick Bland which I wrote about for 'B'. Both would make a good basis for a discussion of unusual friendships (or just friendships!).

Awww, how cute. I have two children wild about books, so this is a blog for me.
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear that and nice to meet you. :)
ReplyDelete