I have completed two months worth of writing a small stone (a short piece of writing that precisely captures a fully-engaged moment - Fiona Robyn) each day. I am feeling rather proud that I haven't missed a day yet. Some days have been a lot easier than others. A couple of days I have just sat in front of the computer wondering what on earth I should write about or how I should word it. Other days they have just come easily. Today is one of the abundant days. I wrote about the squash flower that opened for the first time today. See today's small stone here. I could just have easily written about the gorgeous moth I spotted just as I was getting in to the car.
or the crow that seemed to be determined to be louder than the people noise just outside the shopping centre. I am sure that this way of writing is influencing how observant I am. Whether I choose to write about the small moments or not I am noticing them a lot more. There is a lot of joy in that. Polishing the small stones in order to communicate the moment I noticed is great writing practice too. I am quite sure that I will use some of my small stones later as a starting point for some longer pieces. Another idea I have had is to use them as writing prompts in the future.
I am going to keep writing a small stone each day and am eagerly waiting for July when there will be another small stone writing challenge as there was in January.
To read my small stones go to www.pausingforsmallstones.blogspot.com. To read more about writing small stones and the river of stones project coordinated by Fiona and Kaspa go to www.ariverofstones.blogspot.com.
In more exciting news there is going to be a small stones book. One of my stones will be in the book. It is the one I wrote on January 24. You can read it here.
Unexpected connections
4 days ago
You rock :) x
ReplyDeleteKudos to you for continuing the project. I no longer post a daily stone. Occasionally, however, one demands public attention. I do still keep my moleskine at hand to immediately capture snippets of stones in my daily life.
ReplyDeleteHi Kylie. I came to read your offering for Sunday Scribblings, but got sidetracked here. I really enjoyed the January stones project and continued in a bit different vein afterward and am still doing so. I also look forward to July and for many of the same reasons you mention here. Thanks for visiting my site.
ReplyDeleteElizabeth