Thanks for visiting my playground for words and images. I hope you find something of interest.



Sunday, February 6, 2011

Sunday scribblings - February 6th, 2011

My second offering for Sunday scribblings. This weeks prompt: 


Tell us your story.
Tell us a story.
What story matters to you?
What story do you need to hear?


This provoked much continuing thought! I decided to rewrite a poem to post here. So here is one take on story. 


Shining the pebbles 


Tell your own story 
share and reframe 
turn it around 
over 
inside out 
tell the same story 
and tell it again
let the telling change 
and the listening too 
sift through your life 
and discover yourself 
shining the pebbles 

13 comments:

  1. I like the idea of shining the pebbles as embellishing your memories for later retelling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, I love the imagery here..like waves washing and cleaning layers off the stone..shining up the story..great piece..Jae

    ReplyDelete
  3. Word play, beautifully done and still with meaning

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shining the pebbles. Perfect. I think my father and his brothers shined their pebbles before some of the stories they told.

    ReplyDelete
  5. kylie,
    Shining the pebbles; is that like editing the story?
    Clever poem. It polished up nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rel,
    yes I suppose it is. Choosing which parts to continue telling and how. Also how the beginnings will influence the continuing story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like "shining the pebbles" too! So many do this to make things more interesting! Well done!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very clever piece. Shining the pebbles is a wonderful way to describe refined editing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very clever piece. Shining the pebbles is a smart way to describe refined editing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, poignant words... polishing,
    'let the telling change
    and the listening too
    sift through your life
    and discover yourself
    shining the pebbles'

    Something we all need to do every now and then, listening to our own story... then adjusting as we sift.

    Nice piece.

    ReplyDelete
  12. For me pebbles represent something timeless, solid, mostly unchanging; but can be refined, made more beautiful with the polishing. Like a great story! Love this piece!

    ReplyDelete