Thanks for visiting my playground for words and images. I hope you find something of interest.



Sunday, January 30, 2011

Sunday Scribblings - January 30th 2011

This is my first post for Sunday Scribblings, a site where a weekly prompt is given. The prompt for this weeks is: Safe. I originally wrote this one a while ago and just changed it a little tonight. 


Transformation 


The door slammed shut 
behind me 
locked 
the key gone 


So suddenly I know 
there will be no turning back 
for a while I have ventured 
holding doors open 
grasping tight the keys 
testing out this different world 
going on mini adventures 


Yet now
this is not the Narnia 
of my childhood fantasies 
an adventure followed 
by a return to home 
it is not like travel to faraway places 
the comforts of home 
waiting


No 
I am here to stay 
the door is locked 
my safety left behind 


I will learn to live here 
transform 
from a tourist 
to a permanent resident 
in a new home 



15 comments:

  1. What a great piece to welcome you to Sunday Scribblings - I love the sense of how adventure feels when you are grown - and how home becomes what you have to create for yourself..lovely words..Jae

    ReplyDelete
  2. A vivid moment and an overwhelming sense of recognition as we have been there. That's the job of a good poem though, isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the layout of this poem, how it draws one in

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very telling poem. I may have got this wrong but- what was the sentence?

    ReplyDelete
  5. eventually safety has to be left behind , even if it is just for a while or we never get anywhere new!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to Sunday Scribblings :)

    That's a neat write up. Liked it! Hope to see more of your posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the comments and the warm welcome. I look forward to future Sunday Scribblings inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is not the Narnia
    of my childhood fantasies

    Great lines- great write.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice, I like it. Well woven and a fantastic offering for your first Sunday Scribblings! Hope to see more, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Narnia may well be safer if as Altonian suggests you didn't willing enter your new abode. Intriguing piece to offer up, hope there is more to come.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really well done-- I am fully intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy to have provided some intrigue. When I wrote this I was thinking about a personal change of how I am in the world rather than a particular place. It's been very interesting to reread it after reading everyone's comments. Thankyou.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Posted at 10:10, make a wish :) Beautiful..

    ReplyDelete
  14. like the bride's thoughts when she enters her husband's home going away from her own.. very nice..

    mine is here:
    http://leonnyes.wordpress.com/2011/02/02/little-dreamer/

    ReplyDelete