The beauty in being a beginner
I was out in the backyard earlier this week and noticed rather a lot of noise coming from above me. I went inside and got my camera, trying out a lens I don't normally use which allowed me to get some closer shots. Although I've had the camera for quite a while I haven't used it very much. I have been trying out some of the different settings and feeling very aware of being a beginner. That can be quite frustrating. I know with time and practice, if I am dedicated enough, I will be able to take much better photos. Being a beginner can also be quite rewarding and enjoyable. Often results come quickly and learning is fast in beginning stages. I'm quite happy with my initial attempts at photographing these birds.
I didn't know what type of bird these were. Bird identification - another skill where I am a beginner. These days Google is a great help for beginners and I found quickly found out they are Red Wattlebirds (Anthochaera carunculata). Taking these photos got me thinking more about being a beginner.
I enjoy beginnings. I moved house quite a lot as a child and really enjoyed the explorations of new environments that were to become familiar ones. A few years ago I did my first public poetry reading. I remember how nervous I was but also how rewarding it was to do. I am more comfortable with reading my poetry now and it is not such a big deal. I do miss a little that feeling after the first few times I read but I don't miss the severe anxiety beforehand.
This week has been a busy one with many beginnings. It's the beginning of a new school term here after two weeks holidays so we've been returning to routines. My oldest daughter has begun a new job and it's been exciting listening to her stories. There's such a lot to learn with a new job. I'm involved with a couple of community groups in their beginning stages and both are rather exciting. This week one of the groups is starting some linocut printing. It's been fun shopping for supplies and I'm looking forward to getting started. It won't be a completely new thing but it has been decades since I've done any linocut printing!
There's a lot to value in beginnings...
Wishing you more happy beginnings!
ReplyDeleteMay your beginnings turn into "continuings"!
ReplyDeleteToday’s Six Words
Starting out on anything is always exciting and challenging.
ReplyDeleteBeginning a new beginning! How exciting!
ReplyDeleteI hope you have fun with all your beginnings!
ReplyDeleteBeginnings are great...especially for the journey that they take us on!
ReplyDeleteThere is always such hope in beginnings.
ReplyDeletelooks like a flicker- a type of woodpecker. Nice shot!
ReplyDelete