Thanks for visiting my playground for words and images. I hope you find something of interest.



Saturday, February 18, 2012

Immense beauty...where was my camera?




Immense beauty...where was my camera?


Sometimes it can feel scary to really look. When you actually do look though and get over the bump of initial dizziness, the fear eases and you notice the raw beauty in the immenseness before you. 

Well, almost. I didn't quite get to that point. A few days ago I went to the beach with Alysha. She was keen to go for a walk and climb over some rocks. I was keen for the walk part. Go me - following that intention to walk more! I wasn't so keen on the climbing over rocks part but I gave it a go. Well, I'm not as used to climbing over rocks as I was once. I was feeling a little dizzy and it was hard to look down. I made it from the beach to the path at the top. We walked along the path for a while and then Alysha thought it would be a good idea to sit on the rocks and look out at the sea. "No way" was my first thought (along with the worry of her sitting out there). I sneaked a little look and recognised the immense beauty. I thought that perhaps it would be nice to sit there for a while. I struggled to get there though and after scraping my toe on the rock gave up, along with lots of (over) complaining about my slightly bleeding toe. The view was quite breathtaking and I started to wish I had my camera. Actually my iphone. I have been taking lots of photos lately and posting them on instagram. I am particularly fond of Hipstamatic and trying out different lens and film combinations and recently discovered a great community (Hipstaroll) where you can share shots each week using certain film/lens combinations. Fun! 
That time though I'm glad I didn't have my phone/camera because sometimes it gets in the way of just enjoying the view. Sorry I can't share it with you. 


Here's a different Hipstamatic shot of the beach though - from yesterday. The beach makes a great subject for taking photos and I am enjoying it much more as a result. I never considered myself a beach person but perhaps that is changing. I've even been swimming a few times lately. 



8 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous picture. It's like a painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh... but we have some pf the most awesome beaches here - your photo proves it

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the photo, especially the light on the wave and the clouds :)
    I agree with you... sometimes a camera can be in the way. I used to watch the world a lot from behind of my camera but at a certain moment I decided that sometimes it's just enjoy to enjoy the moment in itself :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i agree sometimes the camera does get in the way...i take a lot of mental pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have taken to just using my phone - and am always surprised at how the results are so good

    ReplyDelete
  6. So lovely, and so much the reason why having my camera with me at all times!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kylie...I am so glad you took a walk and climbed the rocks and took in the ocean view! I LOVE the ocean. I could just sit and gaze at it FOREVER! (:>) I miss it now that I am in Kansas...but I grew up by the beach in Southern California.

    Happy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete