It has been an exciting week! Earlier this year I responded to a call for art for a new book - Four-Word Self-Help by Patti Digh. Last week I was so excited to receive my copy and see my artwork on page 48. Here's a little I wrote around the time that I submitted the art:
'I love to create (to play with patterns, shapes, colours, words and ideas) and learn so much about myself during the process). I was excited to receive the eagerly awaited 'call for art' email. My first reaction though, I must admit, was that of disappointment. I was randomly assigned 'tip the hotel maid' to illustrate. I was not impressed and started formulating a reply email in my head - "Sorry, can't do it. I don't travel! I haven't been in a hotel room for a very long time! It's not relevant to my life! I can't draw a maid!." Then I started to think about showing gratitude to those who help and how that also helps us. I started to play with colours and shapes. I found myself liking the creation that unfolded. The stars represent the wonderful job a maid does in making a hotel room beautiful and the large gold star represents the tip - the gratitude expressed. I really enjoyed creating it despite my first reaction of rejection. I'm glad I persisted. I particularly love that this piece of artwork exists only because I participated in the 'call for art.' '
and here's me at Christies Beach with my copy of the book (page 48!)
--

No comments:
Post a Comment