Thanks for visiting my playground for words and images. I hope you find something of interest.



Saturday, July 9, 2011

Six Word Saturday - July 9th, 2011


Listened to some amazing poetry today. 

I finally made it to a Friendly Street Poets meeting. It is something I have wanted to do for a long time. I seriously contemplated reading some of my own poetry but then this week got really busy and I decided to take the pressure off myself and just go along and enjoy listening to other people read. I'm glad I made that decision today. Yes, it probably would have been great to read and I probably would have felt amazing afterwards but I also know that I would have been very anxious waiting for my turn and that would have impeded my ability to listen and enjoy. Ah, it's always such a balancing act... 

All of those who read today were amazing. There was a great mix of poetry, presented well by seasoned and new readers alike. I am fairly confident now that my turn to read will happen in the not too distant future. 

As written on their website, Friendly Street Poets  "is Australia’s longest running community open mic., uncensored poetry reading  and publishing group in the southern hemisphere." They also publish an anthology each year containing some of the poems read at meetings throughout the year. I bought the latest one today - "Sorcerers and Soothsayers" edited by John Pfitzner and Tracey Korsten. I look forward to some serious poetry reading sometime soon! 



7 comments:

  1. Wow - small world, my uni instructor was heavily involved with Friendly Street Poets so I heard about this a lot from him. Can't for the life of me think of his name at the moment, know his wife's name was Kate.

    Sounds like a great way to spend the day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good day! (Found your blog from Six Word Saturday)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it when people feel like this about poetry :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I rarely pass up a chance to read; you're more sensible than I, I guess.

    I'm not playing the 6's this week, but enjoyed yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like poetry too. I write what I feel and only when I am inspired. It just kind of comes to me that way!

    Glad you got to go listen to some readings.
    Happy Saturday!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a good time, have a great Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you had a great experience. I have never understood poetry myself.

    ReplyDelete